1. The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.
2. The Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath.
3. Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do harm, to save life or to kill?
Family Discussion Questions:
1. What was the Sabbath and what was God’s goal in creating the Sabbath for his people?
2. How had the Pharisees rejected or subverted God’s design for the Sabbath?
3. What did the Pharisees’ treatment of Jesus’ disciples, then the man with the withered hand, show about how they had misunderstood God, the law, and the Sabbath?
4. What does Jesus’ example of David teach about God’s law and the Sabbath?
5. When Jesus says “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath” is this an invitation for us to do whatever we want?
6. What does it mean that Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath?
7. What does the Pharisees’ conspiring with the Herodians show us about their hearts?
8. Why does God command His people to gather together for worship once a week?
9. What is your attitude towards coming to the worship service? Why do you think you are supposed to be here? How important is the worship service to you? Why?
10. What does our lack of concern for one another show about our own relationship with God?
11. What are ways that we can participate in God’s Sabbath rest extended to one another?