- The humble King of kings.
- The fulfillment of God’s Promises
- The real child from the real place at an exact time.
Family Discussion Questions:
- What is the significance of Luke including the names of Caesar Augustus and Quirinius in this passage?
- Why is it important for Luke to say that Joseph is of the house and the lineage of David?
- Why is it important that Jesus is Mary’s firstborn son?
- What is the significance of the manger, and there being no room in the inn?
- God brought Jesus into the world during the time of the Roman Empire, just like the prophets predicted. How does the Roman Empire form a particularly important contrast with the Messiah?
- How did God use actions which might at first seem to be opposed to God’s people to keep His promises to His people? Can you think of other examples of this in history (like you might find in Isaiah!)?
- How does a confidence that Jesus was a real historical person change the way that we engage the accounts of His life in the gospels?
- In what ways might we drift into treating Jesus like a mythological figure more than an actual person who really did what Scripture says He did?