- God’s calling is not because of His need
- God will establish an eternal house through David’s son
- David’s son will be God’s son
- Un-called-for promises call for confident prayers
Family Discussion Questions:
- What caused David to think of building a temple of cedar for the Lord?
- What are all the meanings of the word “house” in this passage?
- How can we be sure that God’s calling of Israel and of David was not because of His need?
- What was God going to do through a son of David?
- David’s son would be a son to God as well - why was that essential for the covenant to endure (in contrast to King Saul)?
- How is Jesus more of a son of God than Solomon?
- How is the temple of Jesus greater than the temple of Solomon?
- How does the fact that the promises to Christians are undeserved actually give us assurance and confidence in our prayers?