- The Law of God reveals God's Holy, loving nature
- The Law of God reveals your need for a Savior
- The Law of God reveals the qualifications of the Savior
- The Law of God reveals who has your heart
- God delivered His commands and expectations for His covenant people AFTER He had already delivered them from captivity. What difference does that order make for you?
- The commandments rest on love; for God and for others. What does this tell us about God’s character?
- God’s love is HOLY love because He is holy. Why should we not be surprised when God’s description of what love is and is not happens to be different from what we think of want?
- Hearing the law of God we see His holiness since it describes Him. What does hearing the law of God reveal about us?
- Since holiness (described by God’s law) is required for the covenant through Moses, how do the 10 commandments describe the Rescuer that Israel was to be looking for?
- God introduces the commandments by reminding His covenant people that they are no longer Pharaoh’s slaves. How does keeping God’s laws (or not) reveal who has your heart?
- What motivations do God’s covenant people have for keeping His law if their obedience doesn’t save them? Exodus 19? Exodus 20:1? Exodus 20:2?
- What would you say to a person who believed that they could earn God’s favour by their obedience to His law?
- What would you say to a person who believed that obedience to God’s commands was not necessary?
- Since the heart of the commandments is love (for God and neighbour) what does this tell us about our need for a new heart?